Sunday, December 28, 2008

5 Mth Old Baby With Bad Cough

Butterfly, my traveling companion

A reader found a haiku of Masaoka Shiki, translated into French, and asked me if I did not know the original version. The translation is like this: In the butterfly
I propose
Be my companion
travel.
was easy to find the original haiku. You can read all the haikus which Shiki le sujet est le papillon sur ce site (japonais).
道Dzure is counting on a journey Department butterfly Michizuré-wa kochô-o tanomu tabiji-kana
L'histoire peut finir là, mais je m'arrête pour réfléchir un peu sur la traduction. Elle n'est pas forcément incorrecte, mais insuffisante à mes yeux.
Je pourrais modifier la version originale, pour qu'elle corresponde à cette traduction française.
Department counting on the journey to the Phalaenopsis Micizuré 道Dzure -o kochô-ni tanomu Tabiji-kana
In this case, this little poem means "Oh My trip to the butterfly that requires to be my companion." But this can not be a haiku of Shiki. Both particle を (o- ) and に ( -ni) are enclitic which show the grammatical case, and there is no syntactic ambiguity. The mode of the verb tanomu (ask) is the verbal adjective in this modified version, connected to the name Tabiji (route).
The similarity of the code and the verbal adjective does not generally pose problems of interpretation. If the verb is immediately before a name is the verbal adjective (走る 男 hashiru otoko , the running man). If it is at the end of the sentence, it is indicative (男 は 走る otoko-wa hashiru , man short).
But this haiku Shiki tanomu , which is before a noun, the adjective can not be verbal. This would be a ridiculous sentence.
道づれ は 胡蝶 を たのむ 旅路 哉 My traveling companion is my itinerary that calls the butterfly.
The companion of Shiki can not be the route itself, but the butterfly. Therefore, we must think words tanomu is an indication that there is a caesura after the word net.
道づれ は 胡蝶 を たのむ 旅路 哉 I trust the butterfly, my traveling companion. This is my journey.
The modern meaning of this verb is "to ask, propose", but I think it must be understood in the sense a little old "trust, follow" (たよる tayoru in modern Japanese). Presumably omission before Tabiji -kana, which can link failure.
And the genius of Shiki is good in this syntactic ambiguity. If we took the verb tanomu as the verbal adjective, haiku would mean nothing, but that is what the ordinary reader does not think too much about syntax. He does not realize that there is a caesura after tanomu , and this clearly highlights the word poetic Kocho (butterfly), which is related to dreams in the popular imagination.胡蝶 の 夢 Kocho-no yume , "the dream of the butterfly is the famous story of Zhuang Zi . (I consider here the verb tanomu as indicative. It is my hypothesis, which is not credible by chance.)
However, one can believe it's a haiku in a single stroke, without any break. You can add に ( -ni)-wa before to clarify the meaning.
道づれ (に) は 胡蝶 を たのむ 旅路 哉
In this case, the verbal adjective is possible again, but I feel that this would be rather awkward as a composition of haiku. I prefer to keep the ambiguity of -wa, which would cause a kind of anacoluthon, if the verb was considered the verbal adjective.
I said that the proposed translation is not necessarily incorrect. Is that the translator may well take the liberty to ensure that the translation is natural. Anyway, the semantic difference is not too sensitive.

0 comments:

Post a Comment